Tuesday, October 22, 2013

All Hallows' Grim - So Good, So Dark: Corpse Bride

First up, I've experienced a little case of All Hallows' Grim Interruptus this week because we lost phone and internet for a few days thanks to storms here in Melbourne.

Not only do I have plenty of  blog visiting to catch up on, but now that we're reconnected, I thought I'd try and squeeze in a last "So Good, So Dark" post, even though the party is technically over.
 
I should warn that this post might be a tad spoiler-ish, so if you haven't seen Tim Burton's Corpse Bride yet, please proceed with caution.

I was reading an article recently about Mexico's Day of the Dead festivities (if you're interested, you can read it here) and something I learnt was that Monarch butterflies arrive in Mexico during the season of Día de los Muertos (or Día de Muertos, as I've been told it is more commonly referred to in Mexico itself). The butterflies are believed to be the souls of the dead returning to earth. This immediately brought to mind the beautiful and poignant butterfly transformation scene in the movie, Corpse Bride.  

Tim Burton is renowned for taking dark and macabre subject matter and infusing it with humour and quirkiness. He challenges our stereotypical notion of a hero by invariably making his protagonists society's misfits and outcasts, ranging from plucky goth girls to bumbling, twitchy young men, and quite often the "monsters" in his films are victims rather than villains.

The art director of Corpse Bride, Nelson Lowry, said in the book, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride - An Invitation to the Wedding:

"Both thematically and visually, Corpse Bride is about inversion, with the Land of the Living a gray, dead place where the people are lifeless, hopeless, and sad, while the Land of the Dead is full of vivacious dead people with a lust for life and joy."

Or in other words... so good, so dark!

Finally, I'd like to thank lovely Magaly, from the Pagan Culture blog, for hosting this blog party, and I look forward to catching up on all the shenanigans I missed during my wee absence from the internet.



17 comments:

  1. Another Burton fan here. Rumour has it he is going to direct Bettlejuice 2.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that too, Ali! Very nervous about a sequel, but if they go ahead with it, I hope Burton directs, Keaton plays Beetlejuice and... it's good! ;)

      Delete
  2. Another perfect post - I too love Corpse Bride and all things Burtonesque.

    I hope the storms have passed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Winter Moon! :)

      We're having very stormy spring weather with a lot of gale force winds this year. There's been quite a lot of damage around Melbourne. The people in New South Wales are having a worse time with the fires though, so I'm counting my blessings. :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome back :)

    I love The Corpse Bride, it's one of the few films ever to have made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandriaweb! :)

      Yes, 'Corpse Bride' makes me teary too!

      Delete
  4. Tim Burton is such a genius, and a fearless soul, isn't he? I love the faces he puts on the dark, the way he makes the macabre smile and shows death laughing at itself.

    Now I have to watch Corpse Bride... again ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the afterlife is one wild and crazy party in Tim Burton's world, Magaly! I'm smiling just thinking about it. I'll join you in that 'Corpse Bride' viewing! ;D

      Delete
  5. I loved Corpse Bride! And you're right; the land of the living was bleaker than the place of the dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love 'Corpse Bride' too, Nightwind! It's so beautiful and moving! Tim Burton turns expectations topsy turvy in the most delightful way. :)

      Delete
  6. I adore Corpse Bride! I really loved that the "afterlife" was a big party while the "land of the living was more similar to a zombie movie (the kind where they drudge along in almost slow motion) Beautiful movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's so much joy and warmth in the 'Corpse Bride' afterlife, Jessie! I love it when the dead go topside to shake things up a little too! ;)

      Delete
  7. I have not hought about this film in a long time. It was fun. Now I have to go find a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to re-watch it soon, DogsMom! It's perfect for the Halloweenie season. :)

      Delete
  8. So beautiful, I adore this movie! So perfect for the blog party, thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I adore your "Haunted Humpday" dolly by the way! Such Halloweenie goodness! :D

      Delete
  9. Shame on me for it is the only Tim-Burton-related Animation film I've seen so far, but it is a great one and I had a fun time at the cinema :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting!